snapshots

I love photoblogs so much. I often get sucked in to them when I should be doing my crafty homework. My latest favorite is rion.nu, the photoblog of new yorker Rion Nakaya. She presents her photos in sets which I just love. Her latest photos are of Japan and are amazing, like the tokyo subways and this wedding or my favorite the food show in Shibuya. I’ve been going back and looking at this photo for days now.

I’m always inspired by great photographers to get out and take pictures myself. I try to remember to take the camera with me when Oscar and I hit the town. My photos always suck but it’s fun to play. I try to challenge myself to not only take pictures of flowers. Here are some I took today on our walk.

I love hotdog signs. I always take pictures of them. I guess I’m as drawn to them as I am to hotdogs!

Rock L's

Here’s the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio in Oak Park. I think it’s behind there. It always has a bus in front of it.

frank lloyd

O’Connor’s cleaners – it reminds me of Choward’s violet candy

O'Connor's Violet Cleaners

Sometimes to avoid the tourists we walk a block over from FLW row, down 60s apartment house avenue instead.

two twenty two

apartment building

decorative

apartment driveway

Here’s a photo of the guys smoothing over the patch of wet cement that I just walked through. This is where I decided it was time to put my camera away and look where I’m going.

cement smoothers fixing my mistake

hey, how’d this get in there?!

tulips downtown

17 thoughts on “snapshots

1. myra says:

Rion Nakaya’s photos are awesome. Yours are wonderful too! I noticed today that Wee Wonderfuls was one of the featured weblogs on the Typepad homepage. Yeah!

2. teresa says:

is that the octogon house? if so, i have been there!
    it is funny you avoid tourists, in providence i try to avoid college students!
    p.s. your pictures are really nice. keep sharing!

3. joleen says:

These are great. 🙂 I love to see the lines and colors in photographs. I just posted a few of my faves. that I took at the San Francisco Golden Gate Park on my own blog. I just love looking at and taking photographs!

4. Jennifer in Tokyo says:

The foodshow pics are great. These “emporiums of food” exist not just in Shibuya, but in almost every department store here. It is a feast for the senses, and the hundreds (!!) of varieties of mini cakes, puddings, tarts, chou creams, and cookies just in ONE store are soooo tempting. 🙂

5. Heatherica says:

I love looking at (and taking) photos! I think I take way too many, lol. I always have a camera with me!
    Those food ones you linked to are so great!
    I also love that hotdog sign. I’m attracted to signs in general. That one is fantastic 🙂 And you’re right, that cleaners sign is a lot like the Choward’s violet candy!

6. Leslie says:

That sign does look remarkable like Choward’s gum! LOL
    Also yesterday I was looking at your site when my husband came up behind me at the computer and said, “Oh, I was just looking at that site!”
    Me: “This site? Wee Wonderfuls?”
    Husband: “Yes, that site.”
    Me: confused silence…. (my husband usually prowls sports sites).
    Husband: “It was on typepad’s featured sites page…”
    …So. Congrats! That is great!

7. kat says:

Wow, I go shopping at the Shibuya Tokyu Foodshow at least twice a week. They have the best walnut and fig buns, nikumans (steamed meat-filled buns), and the best Vietnamese (the bbq pork pho is amazing. It is WAY packed all the time though. Next time I go I will try and take some photos of the crazy crowds.
    There was also an article about Oak Park in the NY Times recently – it sounds like such a cute/cool little area! Lucky you!

8. Sara says:

I LOVE Rock L’s!!! That was one of mine and my husband’s favorite places to eat while we lived in Oak Park. 🙂

9. Cristina says:

Please take a shot of Petersen’s next time. I miss hot apple pie with cinnamon ice cream. Boo hoo, Cristina (exiled from Oak Park)
    And thanks for the Japanese crafts library. My selections are en route from yesasia as I type!

10. Cristina says:

Boo hoo, Cristina (exiled from Oak Park)

11. Chanelbaby says:

WW, your shots are great! I like them very much. It looks like you’ve been having beautiful weather, which I hope lasts a long time. You are so talented and your site is such a pleasure to read. Thank you!