sewing on the go

I’ve been needing a bag to transport my sewing projects with me when I take Oscar out to my parents’ house to visit. While Grandma and Grandpa are busy playing with grandson number one I often have a chance to work on some projects. I wanted a bag with a flat bottom so I tried out the sewing a bag onto a basket trick. My thumb is a little sore from sewing it on the wrong way 3 or 4 times but now that I’ve got it figured out I think I might make another small basketbag from a cute little bright green basket I found at Pier 1.

This basket is from Pier 1 also. The fantastic fabric is one of my treasured japanese fabrics that Jen sent me. The cute lace trim came from Melissa.

Sewingbag1

And what spurred the whole project on was this super cute hand drawn felt patch girl that I just ordered from Momomoogie. It’s entitled hmmmpf which is perfect for when I’m working on handsewing projects! I just love Stella‘s illustrations so much and these patches were too cute to pass up. I think I might need one of those ninjas now!

Sewingbag2

Tania made these beautiful hand carved tulipwood buttons. I’ve been dying to use them since she sent them.

Sewingbag3

grasshoppers playing pool shirting for the lining. I made a little pocket for the lining but it ended up being sewn in behind the basket – bad planning.

Sewingbag4

Here’s everything resting safely on the flat bottom of the basket – my beloved pear pincushion, my seamripper, some thread and this little wicker box that I found at the economy shop sale. I sewed it to the bottom of the basket so it’d stay in place and I could transport little whatnots in there.

Sewingbag5

Sewingbag6

20 thoughts on “sewing on the go

1. kelly says:

That looks beautiful – and how functional, too! Nice that the basket bottom will give your bag more structure and shape than if you’d only used fabric. Great idea!

2. Leslie says:

Hillary –
    I love hearing about how all the bits and bobs (from various friends) come together — you’re able to see “the big picture” and put these things together so nicely. So talented and creative.
    And a basket? Who woulda thunk? Great job on this one — it’s a keeper for sure!

3. amy k. says:

sooo good-thanks for all the info and good tip on peir 1 baskets-
    so you hand sewed it to the basket? Is it strong enough? I must hillary clone-I think I need to try this. Now that I think of it-how would you run it through a machine anyway??-hmmm very excitig! thanks!

4. Jan says:

When I make bags, I cover illustration board (cut to the bottom’s shape and size) with matching fabric and pop it in. Although I have seen basket bottomed bags, I’ve never seen a handmade one! Kudos to you for taking a (very successful) stab at it.
    And sewing the wicker box to the bottom? Great idea.

5. Marg says:

Love the “bagsket”! I’m with Leslie – must clone and must know how you attached the bag to the basket. This is just too swell! Thanks for all the great pics.

6. robin says:

i’ve been looking for a patch for a favorite pair of ripped jeans for a while now. thanks for the link; i just ordered the ‘bowl cut’.
    your blog is becoming a slight compulsion of mine lately! must. see. what. hillary. made. today! darned you for always outdoing yourself!

7. Sandra says:

Cool!! Yours is even cuter than the one in my Japanese chirimen craft book! A tote bag is a much better idea- the drawstring purse isn’t practical enough (see the post on my blog under “Japanese craft books”). I really love this- what a neat sewing bag!

8. erin says:

This is a lovely bag. thanks for the inspiration and the idea. I’ve always wanted a bag that was more sturdy than what I could make out of clothing fabric. This is it! I may even think of sewing something knitted to the basket instead of fabric. Oh what fun ideas you’ve given me. Thanks a whole bunch, and I love reading your blog!