new doll design

Betsy5

I’ve been working on a new doll design and here’s the first one I made up. I’m pretty happy with how she’s turned out. I want to change a few things but really for a first iteration it went smoothly. I’m itching to start another one. I have a bunch of sketches of little guys and gals like this one and I’ve started a pile of fabrics that I think would make really cute dress bodies. I was trying to decide between wool felt for the body or wool/cotton fabric. I used wool felt for this one and it worked very well. And I feel I finally have a handle on yarn hair and cheek blushing. I’m all hepped up on doll-making goofballs.

We took some pictures at the park today…

Betsy3

And we might have got carried away…

all packed up ready to head to the park

Betsy1

on the slide

Betsy2

playing some hopscotch

Betsy4

swinging

Betsy6

posing on the equipment

Betsy7

x’s and o’s

Betsy8

40 thoughts on “new doll design

1. Amber Lee says:

This little doll is so cute! I clicked on your projects link and you have so many cute things. I quilt and this has to be like the cutest way to use scraps ever! How did you get started? Do you design all your own?

2. kristina says:

She is so sweet. What a wonderful expression. And I too love the way you’ve integrated the dress into the body.

3. Hanna says:

Nice doll, very nice!
    I adore the little hopscotch (new word for me again!) you’ve drawn on the ground! So nice for her/us to see!
    have a great week!

4. Shirra says:

Just found your blog and your projects are great! I had to put away my quilting because of construction on our house and became addicted to knitting. I’m getting back to the quilting, making pillows, so I was really excited to see yours. Thanks for the inspiration.

5. sbrownrobie says:

well, isn’t miss dolly the little charmer? she’s simple, yet she has some real panache what with the fabulous materials.
    wheeee!
    ~S

6. sunni says:

Oh Betsy is so sweet! Superstar Hillary is at it again with another of the cutest dolls I’ve ever seen! The pictures really do her justice too! Wish there was one of Betsy and Oscar playing together. 🙂

7. Jane says:

I think I just peed a little looking at those pictures. Ha! You are insane. You should totally produce a children’s book with photo illustrations. It would rock!
    BTW, I sooo have to send this to Ms. Rowbottom.

8. Betsy Rowbottom says:

Hilary —
    long time… Jane just forwarded your site to me. She has told me over the past couple of years how beautiful your artwork is, and I’m so blown away. Gorgeous. And now, you made a Betsy doll — I love it. Super cute.
    Wow. This site is beautiful. I’m so into all these vintage fabrics, too. I shop eBay endlessly for weird old frenchie fabrics, but usually they are too old & rotten to sew – or if they can withstand being sewn,they can
    t deal with being a quilt on my bed where my dog’s claws will easily shred it. I’ll send you a photo of a quilt I did. I’m also a fan of these sort of “window pane” style (plain solid fabrics with all different fabrics inside… ok, that makes no sense) – I’ll send you a photo.
    Your site has such great stuff.
    Wow! Look at you!

9. hillary says:

Thanks everybody for all your super nice comments! I can’t wait to make another one. I have everything picked out for her… now just a matter of finding the time.
    Betsy hopscotches through the miracle of photoshop – thanks Tim!

10. Kathy says:

Hello,
    enjoyed your web-site and the little doll you made, she is very cute & know your are very proud of her. i have designed a doll on paper and have been working on this doll for about a year, as i have the dates of each doll i designed. Could you please tell me whom do i contact to submit my doll design? Is there a web-site i could try? thank you for your time. Kathy

11. michelle says:

Hi there,
    My 8yr old son Isiah has fallen in love with your Daisy doll. Isiah is autistic and when he gets stuck on something we are on a mission!! I would like to make him a doll but don’t sew really well. Did you get this pattern from a book? He also loves the tiny kitty you posted a photo of. You mentioned that pattern came from a book and wondered if you could tell me the name. Your things are very beautiful, you have an amazing give with matching colours and patterns. We are now on your site every day looking as Isiah clicks from one photo to another.
    Your photos have been a great gift to us!
    Happy thoughts,
    Michelle and Isiah

12. Heather says:

i love the design of this little girl and the size of her! this would be another great pattern!? hint hint!! 🙂 my girls and i love your designs! thank you!