I’ve got answers

Ok, here are some answers to the un-frequently asked questions. The frequents are over on the about me page now.

Soup?
hmm… pho!

Snacks?
I’m pretty fond of the carb smart ice cream bar in my mouth now but I’m trying not to think of snacks. must reduce.

What do you love best about the town you live in?
Everything! Oak Park is like a cool little college town right next to a big city. Best of suburbs and city. What do I like least? That we’ll probably never be able to afford to buy here 🙁 Oh, and all the Frank Lloyd Wright tourists.

How do you balance an art life with work? How do you prioritise your day so that you can fit in all your craft stuff?
I answered the how do I find the time over in the faq because people
ask me that *a lot*. But the balancing and prioritizing are a little different than finding the time. And they’re very difficult decisions. I often feel I’m doing a crappy job at everything. But the weblog and the
making things has made me so happy and is a huge part of what keeps me sane. I don’t so much balance as I cut things right out…sleeping, exercising, reading, cleaning… a few things that come to mind.

What role do you see making things has in the big scheme of life?
I haven’t really given it much philosophical thought. I’ve read lots of interesting articles about the DIY trend and what it means and whether or not it will continue. And the whole idea of "women’s work"/craft/art and handmade in technological world is very interesting. Making things has always been a part of my life. Whether for hobby or for economic necessity (my wedding dress) or just because.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
This is a bad time to be asking me that. I don’t know! I’m kinda stuck inspiration-wise these days. Maybe I’m just saturated. I see cute CUTE things everyday online but I’m not really feeling any of it. I feel like Cameron who thinks he hasn’t seen anything good yet today. I’ve just checked out some books from the library this morning in hopes of a new boost of creative energy.

Is selling off your website a profitable venture or just a hobby?
It’s just for some "fun money" right now. I don’t have enough time to make enough stuff to sustain a living. I don’t know if I’ll ever have that much time. I’d love to be able to do something, I don’t know what, with wee wonderfuls that could amount to a career after Oscar is in school. Maybe getting some help with the sewing and then start selling things at craft fairs, shops or online. Maybe selling patterns? I’m always looking for ideas and any inspiring business models.

How did you develop such a wonderful eye for color and pattern combination?
hey thanks 🙂 Having a super talented designer husband doesn’t hurt. I’m always asking Tim’s opinion and he has great input.

How do you stay motivated and disciplined about finishing projects?
Start a weblog!

And that is so funny that y’all think I’m positive. The people who know me are winking at each other knowingly right now. I was a huge crankpot worn-out depressed mess yesterday. I need to work on my writing!

11 thoughts on “I’ve got answers

1. Heidi says:

I know just what you mean about Oak Park. It’s so great in the moment, but considering it for the long haul is nearly impossible. I am sad to say that we’ll probably have to move away in the next year ourselves.
    Last night at the knitting group there were a couple of real-estate speculator-types talking about their properties in OP. You don’t even want to know the sharky behavior that goes on with home sales, or what the prices are really like!
    But anyway, I can relate to a lot of your other answers too.

2. amapolalola says:

Thank you for posting these! I read your lj almost everyday, and all these questions come to mind. I always wonder what it would be like to be one of you craftmistresses. And just as I’ve always suspected, having a dedicated craftspace is where it’s at.

3. robin says:

ok i have 2 questions (both visual) to add, but don’t feel you have to endulge me if you have already posted these before:
    1. can we see your workspace?
    2. can we see your wedding dress?

4. kelly says:

Thanks for sharing Hillary! Great to get some more insight into your world! But, like Mariko, I’m not sure if I believe the cranky part… you must be really good at blogging outside the cranky persona!

5. Leslie says:

Thanks for these answers, Hillary. It’s good to know that you’re able to balance me time with family time. That is SO crucial to staying sane!!!
    I consider myself very fortunate too — my Hank is very supportive of me (like your Tim). He lets me have my me time when I want to doodle on Photoshop or craft around. It’s getting harder balance, though, with the bun on her way soon (very soon!). * GULP! * 😉

6. hannah says:

so you do craft late into the night! im glad im not the only one sitting at my sewing machine at 11:45 at night muttering to myself, almost finished, almost finished… thanks for all the answers, so great of you to indulge us. i have to say that i am constantly amazed by your eye, and tims too! you work wonders!

7. hillary says:

here’s a link to my craft table
    I can take some more pictures of my little sewing room after I tidy up a bit. As far as the wedding dress goes, it’s not that exciting. I altered a 1950s dress pattern to be longer and I made it out of white cotton eyelet. I was looking at my wedding photos this morning and it looks so wonky and ill-fitting. Never make your own wedding dress – that’s all you’ll see in the photos!

8. moki says:

From what I can tell, all of us artsy types have our bum days (weeks, months, whatever) Some are just better at hiding it. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself. 🙂

9. Cinnamon says:

I highly agree with you on starting a blog to keep yourself motivated. It worked wonders for me when I started it and now I’m doing so much that it seems overwhelming to write and post photos about everything. It’s also great for those days when you’re convinced that you never do anything cool all you have to do is cruise your archives. At least that’s all I have to do.
    Thanks for sharing and I’m not surprised that you get cranky and depressed. You’re very human, even if you’re one of the coolest bloggers I read daily.