April Month of Softies: Recycled Monster Action

Monster

Like a bandaid…. I figure this is my best chance of actually doing a MOS contribution again. Just get it done as soon as I get an idea, no planning or procrastinating. And how could I not do one for April.. recycled materials – that’s my bit! I’ve got an apartment full of thrifted things waiting to be transformed. So I’ve been wanting to make a big squishy play pillow for Oscar ever since reading on My Paper Crane that she was making tuffets for her son. So I made a big monster pillow/softie for Oscar. Thrifted sheet, old corduroy skirt, and old buttons for the eyes. Also recycled – I used the foam from Oscar’s old baby bumper as stuffing, that along with a bazillion bags of polyfill. Feels so good to play MOS again! I’ll have to add it to my tada list so I can cross it off.

And Oscar loves it πŸ™‚

Oscarsmonster3

32 thoughts on “April Month of Softies: Recycled Monster Action

1. Heatherica says:

That is so cute!! I want to make one for my son now (he is 3). I was just thinking how much he would love it when he walked by and saw these pictures. He gasped and started pointing and smiling and said he wants one, lol! It’s such a great idea.
    Also, Wesley has the same pjs as Oscar πŸ™‚

2. MeowGirl says:

cool!! i love his teeth… and his grin… and akimbo stance… and block-like shape… and corduroy underside! um, i love him–recycled!! such mock ferocity! looks like an excellent wrestling partner for Oscar.

3. moki says:

Waht a fabulous monster! It looks like one of those pillows you use in bed (ya know with the back and armrests) Though you’d have to be a brave kiddo to want to lean up on on yours. Oscar’s one tough guy! πŸ™‚

4. hillary says:

yay thanks for the monster love! akimbo stance. that’s too funny. I am so happy to have made something, finally, that Oscar wants to hug! Of course, it is already worse for wear and I need to do some repairs tonight.
    moki – I was totally thinking of those great pillows when I made this. I had a corduroy one that I loved when I was a kid. We called it the tv pillow. Tim says they’re called “husband” pillows.
    25″ wide, 19″ tall, 11″ thick

5. dawn says:

I cannot believe that you are done for this month already!!! Wow. And not only done, but what a fabulous monster. I can see “mom of the year” on your horizon.

6. Katy. says:

I love the picture – you know its a perfect depiction of joy when all you can see of their feet is a blur of motion like in a cartoon. πŸ™‚

7. pearl says:

That’s awesome! You don’t really get the full effect until you see the picture of Oscar with it.
    Very, very cool and fun!
    πŸ™‚
    wynne

8. Brandy says:

That is SUPER! We’re on the same wavelength – I’m making an oversized Softie this month too. And trying not to make it 11th hour like I did last Thursday. πŸ˜›

9. Daphne says:

I love the softie but CLEARLY it is much better in person, as Oscar demonstrates. Excellent action shot… and design! I hope you keep doing MOS. Even though I’m not involved, I love seeing everyone’s creations for the project.

10. Pixie says:

That is absolutely wonderful. I’m going to try to make something like that for my nearly-3-year-old, since he’s panting at the picture as I type! Maybe all in corduroy, for extra durability…

11. kristen says:

when i saw the pic with Oscar, “oh my gosh!” just jumped out of my mouth. that pillow is HUGE. so very fun and fun to see Oscar enjoying it!

12. hillary says:

dear hmmm…
    yeah, no duh
    I generally delete all comments with junk email addresses but I’ll make an exception for you since you’re SO EXCITED πŸ™‚