Strip Piecing

The first baby girl is being born into our family this May so I was enlisted to make a baby quilt to send to my cousin and his wife. The colors they wanted were lavender, greens and pinks. I decided to use another pattern they gave us in my FunQuilts class. This one is called Marquee and uses strip piecing to make the striped bands around the squares. I’ve been really wanting to try this technique.

Now my mother never liked the color purple, and nature or nurture I seem to have followed her lead in this. I really LOVE the fabric I found for the center squares but when this many pastels get together I don’t seem to be any good at judging what’s going on. I’m hoping it’s doing more of a Kaffe Fassett sort of thing than a sugar headache sort of thing.

Juliequilt1

Juliequilt2

Juliequilt3

I was able to get a huge chunk of the work done out at my parents’ this weekend. The strip piecing is pretty cool. It goes really fast after you get those strips sewn together and then cut up. I set up my old sewing machine at their place and with Oscar being entertained by Grandma and Grandpa I was able to sew away for hours while getting to watch him play. ideal! I told my parents all they need is high speed internet and we’re moving in!

11 thoughts on “Strip Piecing

1. kerrie says:

I like it! Strip piecing looks like a lot of fun, I was reading up on it last week. Its on my list of techniques to try, as soon as someone invents a 30 hour day that is!

2. kelly says:

Looks great – and I do like the pastels – it feels very “Easter-ish”. I did a quilt with a 9-patch block that was strip-pieced – nice to feel that sense of progress!

3. Hanna says:

No headake at all, even though lavender is NOT my color eahter I think you can call this quilt a success!
    The stripe-parts are beutiful and really tie the whole thing gogether! That will be happy baby girl who gets to sleep under that quilt.

4. marianna says:

It definitely has the Kaffe Fassett feel the colors and the complexity of the strips give it lots of texture.. I would give the border texture as well… nicely done!

5. nancy says:

Hi! I love your blog! you are an inspiration. what size is the big blue square? and the small blue square. I would like to make one as well. I am guessing 6 and 3? nancy

6. Jan says:

That definitely looks like a girl’s quilt! Proves that quilts don’t have to be a complicated design to be beautiful. (They only have to be finished! (My problem…lol)

7. amy k. says:

really great!! what are you thinking for the binding? I say go with a crazy pink or a stripe or something realy loud to push the whole “kaffe” look-
    I love have grandparents in town too! although it gets harder for them to help with 2. . .