Kimono Quilt

Kimonoquilt1

My kimono quilt is finished! Man was it hard. Free motion quilting this whole thing on my little sewing machine was quite a challenge. And freehand too. Next time I’m definitely using the washable pen to draw out my quilting patterns first. And I need to get one of those tables that the sewing machine sinks into so I won’t be dealing with the added stress of the quilt hanging off the machine. I don’t know how I’m going to get that huge napping quilt done in that tiny bernina.

Some details for the quilters out there… I ended up not using high loft batting like I had originally envisioned and went with your standard cotton batting. I used thread colors that blended into the fabrics instead of contrasting. I wasn’t sure about this at first but now that I see it across the room hanging on the wall I’m glad I did because it is very striking. I used a pillowcase binding because I didn’t want a frame around the design. I was happy that I wasn’t going to have to deal with binding on this one but the pillowcase deal was still tricky – trying to get it to lay flat and not have the backing show over the edges. I came up with different quilting designs for each of the sections. I used a big swirly floral pattern for the Nani Iro fabric sections. I made the design more loosey goosey on the top section and tighter on the bottom. The gray I did a wavy lily pad sort of thing, the red an abacus bead design and just stripes on the top and bottom sections. Which of course was the hardest part! I should have taped them out like they showed us in class. Shoulda woulda coulda… this quilting takes a lot of practice!

Kimonoquilt2

Kimonoquilt3

Here’s a picture before it went through the washer.

Kimonoquiltwithoscar

29 thoughts on “Kimono Quilt

1. Lizette says:

It’s beautiful Hillary! Your freehand quilting looks great. I figure when I get to do a quilt it has to be freehand quilting, and I already have the kit that came with my Viking! It looks hermosisimo! Who is it for? L

2. tania says:

holy mary margaret that is gorgeous!!
    i love that spotty fabric and the flowery stitching. and loosey goosy! why, that’s one of my favorite things to say.

3. mochi says:

Hillary, it is breathtaking. Everything turned out perfect, your choice of colors and composition are dead on. I’m glad you didn’t use contrasting thread for the quilting. I’m sure in person it’s even more amazing. Great, great, job!

4. Laural says:

That looks so beautiful! Good job on the quilting. I have been hesitant to try larger sized quilts becuase I had no idea how to get them through my machine and hand quilting seems so daunting.

5. cheryl says:

Wow. I’m not a big traditional quilt fan — too oppressive and busy, like a 5,000 piece puzzle. This is spectacular! Your quilt is as peaceful and harmonious as the best work by some of my favorite abstract artists. If you don’t already know them, you might like looking at some paintings by Agnes Martin and Brice Marden. You’re very talented!

6. Bertha says:

I cannot get over how totally stunning this is! I can’t believe you are a “beginner” quilter! I’ve been quilting for a year now, and you are so far ahead of me! LOL. You are amazing.

7. Kate says:

Fantastic job– I was interested in your comments about the bernina, because I just got one and now I’m dealing with the smaller hole too. I haven’t tried quilting a large project yet… How big is this quilt? I hear you that it’s tough! I wish they hadn’t made the machine so compact!

8. amy k. says:

sooo nice, hillary-I hope when you get some time away from it you won’t notice the “flaws” you mentioned-because it is really striking. rock on, man.

9. hannah says:

it is amazing! the little hands are the perfect touch. hillary for us quilting dummies, could you explain what pillow case binding is? is that the wide strip of stripes at the top and bottom?

10. Bettsi says:

It is striking and gorgeous! It really does look like modern art, but better because of the wonderful texture. I think you were so right in using matching thread and a standard batting. Great, great job!

11. Jennifer in Tokyo says:

Wow!! I absolutely love it. I can’t help but feel happy that I remember when that floral Nani Iro fabric was on a bolt in Tokyo. How cool that I get to see the raw good turned into something so beautiful. You were right–the fabric is too pretty to cut up too much.
    *feeling FunQuilts envy*

12. kathreen says:

utterly gorgeous. fabric, design, quilting all beautiful combination. I have a few quilts up to the quilting stage where I get stuck with my old sewing machine, fitting it in. perserverance is needed, I just don’t want to stuff up my beautiful fabrics. you have done a great job. k

13. Sandra says:

Congratulations on making such a beautiful quilt !! Gosh, you would never ever know that you’re a novice quilter. The quilt looks nice and soft and almost antique, thanks to the pretty fabrics and cotton batting I imagine. You have something precious: your own style. A piece of advice: don’t read too many quilting books written by the “experts”, and stick to your own color/fabric sense! The one thing no quilting book can give you is your own style, and this you”ve got already; and from what I read in the other comments, everybody LOVES it!

14. Marg says:

It’s simply gorgeous! I love the big chunks of fabric and the different types of quilting on each section. Here’s a hot tip I read somewhere recently: If you’re sewing on a smallish table, put it up against the wall so that the quilt doesn’t go on the floor when you’re sewing. Don’t know if that will help you next time but it might be worth a try. Me… I’ll just stick to the little stuff for now. Looking forward to seeing many more!

15. Charlotte says:

I love your quilt, everything about it! I wish I could see it in person! I only know tha pillow case method, it’s the way my mom does it too! Was this a pattern you followed or just from your awesome creativity!? Beautiful job!!!

16. Charlotte says: