diddie

I hate the word pouch. Just one of those things. I think it’s hard to say. So I’m looking for alternatives. I was thinking pocket or pocketbook. Zippered pocketbook is fun to say. I’m also a fan of satchel. And carryall! But that doesn’t really apply… carryalittle? And of course, diddie (?!).

Main Entry:  bag
Part of Speech:  noun
Definition:  container
Synonyms:  attache,
backpack, briefcase, carry-on, carryall, case, diddie, duffel, gear,
grub-bag, handbag, haversack, holdall, kit, knapsack, pack, packet,
pocket, pocketbook, poke, pouch, purse, rucksack, sac, sack, saddlebag, satchel, suitcase, tote
Source:  Roget’s New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Anyhoo, here’s a new zippered thingamajig I made. Vintage tablecloth & embroidered ribbon on striped denim with an orange polka dot lining.

Rosepouch1

Rosepouch2

Rosepouch3

And here’s another whatzit that I made a while ago for Jenn so she could match her daughter Trixie’s puppy purse.

Buttonpouch2

Buttonpouch

I really want to make more pocketbooks with buttons. Actually I want to make everything with buttons. I’m just afraid they’re impractical and will snag on things and pop off.

24 thoughts on “diddie

1. jen/trix's mom says:

I was just going to say…
    that new “pouch” seems to be reminiscent of the lovely one I received! Just so you know, the buttons are holding up beautifully and it gets tons of compliments! And, we’re hoping to have a little package in the mail for you (one of these days) to better express our thanks!

2. amy k. says:

my husband and I actually have a name for pouches-I guess we don’t like that “pouch” word either-it is “little buddy”-hmmm. I’m not if it will catch on with everyone else.
    We actually have a list of words not to be used in our house because they make us feel creepy: bling, serendipity, empower, couch, asap, the list grows. .

3. meredith says:

I don’t like that word either! It seems so…I don’t know, just slightly icky. But I cant stop making them either. And yours are quite lovely, I especially like the way the polka dot lining contrasts with the outside. Aren’t linings great? Like little surprises.

4. wee says:

O…”Carrysmall” is just adorable, but I was on my way here to volunteer Zocket or Zippet (like zipper + pocket) They are ADORABLE. You need to do some robot front ones!!!

5. cat says:

i had a bfriend whose mother was japanese, she used to call any sort of purse/pouch a pockybook. that’s stuck with even though the boy didn’t.

6. sarah says:

“clutch” makes me think of larger purse-type bags, usually with a snap or clasp.
    What about portable pocket?
    I love the button-y one.

7. Miz Booshay says:

I like zippet…
    How about bagette? :o)
    Clutch sounds like Clutch Cargo…and seeing that you are from Chicagoland you just may know who Clutch Cargo is…
    perhaps you will have to ask someone older :o)
    Great Blog!
    Donna

8. Jennifer says:

A diddie, for sure.
    Button are great on things like this, as long as they are sewn down tight. They look great.
    P.S. Bowow order made. Fabric on its way to me. Tokyo goodie shopping to follow…woo hoo.

9. karin says:

in dutch it’s etui, altho that’s really the french word for case(left over in the dutch language from when we were part of France, a loooong time ago. they are great, your diddie’s, adorable.

10. nina says:

Ooh, etui sounds fancy–I’m going to try to incorporate that into my vocabulary. Those diddies are so beautiful I can’t stop looking at them, and I especially like how you put a red flower button right on top of one of the flowers in the printed fabric.

11. jenny b says:

Hehehe I thought you made up diddie, but there it is in the thesaurus! What a wonderful word! I think it fits your creations. And I LOVE the pop of the red gingham inside the button-y diddie. Adorable!