Becky’s baby quilt

Beckysquilt

Here is the first of the baby quilts I need to make for this Spring’s babies. This one is for our friend Becky in Boston who is having a boy. Becky really loves children’s books and always sends us the nicest ones so we wanted to send her a really great book for her and her new baby. We decided on our new favorite, the Bed, Bed, Bed book with CD by They Might be Giants and illustrations by Marcel Dzama. The book has such great colors! I tried to use those same colors in making the quilt. The pattern I used is Broken Dishes and I came up with this swirly quilting pattern to top it off. The binding went ok, although I think I may try hand sewing the next one.

These aren’t the best photos because the light sucks. It’s rainy and dreary here with no signs of letting up so this is what I’ve got. Quilt goes in the mail today and then it’s time to start planning the next one!

Beckysquilt2

Beckysquilt3

Bedbedbed1

Bedbedbed2

13 thoughts on “Becky’s baby quilt

1. mochi says:

I love the bed, bed, bed, book! Great job matching the colors with your quilt. I am also quite jealous at how all your points match up so nicely. Beautiful!

2. erin says:

What a lucky baby!
    Yet again, I’m incredibly impressed by your work. I’m constantly inspired by your creativity, and the amount of craft you get done on a regular basis. One day, you’ll need to explain how you carve out time for all these projects in between raising that cute little boy of yours. 🙂
    I also want to second hbrowning’s comment — is there a book or site that got you started in machine quilting? I’m anxious to give it a shot, but have no classes nearby. Your advice is much appreciated!

3. hillary says:

a 2 hour nap and a 7:00 bedtime are the crafting mama’s best friend!
    I don’t really have a book to recommend. I was just winging it until I took that FunQuilts class. maybe somebody else has a suggestion?

4. Lizette says:

How long does it take you to make a quit? I always thought I would put that off because it takes time, and space, and a good collection of squares. But you seem to make them in no time and with so much dedication. We also love They Might be Giants and have their cd NO! which started my son’s fondness for robots (and also because of the movie Iron Giant). xo Lizette

5. carolyn says:

quilts looks great – hillary! very optical illusion-y, your eye switches from seeing one set of squares to the other. i finished nan’s quilt last night!! 🙂 hopefully i’ll get pictures up tomorrow, i’ll let you know
    beginner books – i’d recommend Quilts, Quilts, Quilts, by diana mcclun and laura nownes. also the quilts from the quiltmaker’s gift has a lot of easy/yet good looking patterns. and any eleanor burns books are great – quilt in a day log cabin is a good one to start with.

6. hillary says:

Oh thanks Carolyn! I was so stressed out trying to place all those triangles. I had such a hard time picking fabrics and then laying it out. Quilting is hard! And then I went and cut the fabric I’d bought for binding into triangles so I had to use the same fabric as the backing. That was a disappointment. I think this is the thing with quilting that makes you keep going…thinking next time I’ll get it! And thanks for the book recommendations. I’ll have to see if my library has them. Any other quilters in OP are going to be out of luck as I have about 10 quilting books checked out already.
    Can’t wait to see the quilt you finished!

7. erin says:

Thanks Jennifer and Carolyn — I’m going to hunt down your terrific selections and give this quilting thing a shot.
    And of course, keep coming here for inspiration. (Hillary, I suppose that’s not me that takes the 2 hour nap? ;))

8. Carin says:

Hillary,
    Im pretty new to the quilting world and I really like the quilt you did for Becky and was wondering if you might be able to give me a little info on the design?