just throwing this out there

I think I’ve mentioned before that I used to have a little online business selling vintage clothes. Well I still have a bunch of stuff in the basement and I want to clean house. So I thought I’d throw some things up here and see if anyone wanted to trade.  I don’t really want to spend too much time describing, washing, prepping. I’m burnt out on the vintage business. I’m not even going to bring my mannequin up from the basement. I thought I’d offer just a brief description of each item and its condition with measurements. Some of the things I have left either need small repairs or dry cleaning. Some are in great shape. I’m thinking if anyone is interested they could email me (first come first serve). Then they could paypal me for shipping, wait til they get their item, check it out and then decide what to swap based on the condition. Make sense? I’m thinking a very informal friendly trusting sort of swap. I could put together a list of things I’m always looking for… vintage fabrics, buttons, patterns, yarn. I also need things like bamboo needles. And there’s my wishlist on equilter. Stuff like that.

These are things I had no heart to send back to the thrift stores and no energy to try to ebay so they’ve been stuck in limbo in my basement. Maybe these things have a home out there somewhere.

This is the first armful I grabbed…

This is a very pretty 100% wool 60s hand embroidered sweater. Tag says from Marshall Fields, made in Italy. It definitely needs a dry clean, there seems to be some discoloration around the shoulders and collar. But I think that should come out. Other than that it’s beautiful! I love it! It’d be so great for Easter. The embroidery kinda looks like colored eggs in grass. Oh, and the embroidery is in great shape. 38" bust, 38" around the bottom, 23" long. About a size 12.

Embroideredsweater

Embroideredsweatercloseup

Embroideredsweatercloseup2

Cute snap shirt in dark purple ticking-like fabric with purple snaps. Made by the Corral – Cowboy supplies, Tucson Arizona.  32" bust, 23" long. Size 2-4

Snapshirt

This tiny sweater has a 28" bust and 26" waist. size 0? 100% wool sweater with awesome flapper design on the front. There is a small hole in the middle. Maybe it could be darned? Or the sweater felted and made into a cute bag? Or wear it with a dark t-shirt underneath and no one will ever notice the hole!

Flappersweater

Black leather fringe bag, 10 x 13. Great shape, super cute, maybe I should keep it for myself? No, everything must go!

Blackfringebag

Pink space dyed striped 70s sweater. Cute tag with little apple tree says "Organically Grown". Unstretched measurements are 30" bust, 29" waist, 32" hip, 28" long. I’d say size Small, maybe anywhere from 2-6 because it’s stretchy. I love the pockets on the hip!

Pinksweater

Dusty rose colored, lacey knit, 70s sweater with fitted bodice and bell sleeves. Acrylic. 32" bust, 28" waist, 22" long. Size Small, 2-4.

Rosesweater

Bright turquoise 60s heavily beaded sweater. 40" bust, 40" waist, 22" long. Size 14-16. Could use a dryclean, there are a few stains on the lining but none on the sweater that I can spot. The beading is loose in a few spots on the wrist and at the waist. I think it could easily be tied off and not a problem. The beading is so encrusted that you can’t really notice.

Beadedsweater_1

Beadedcloseup

Beadedsweatertag

This is one of my favorites! A very cool 60s cocktail dress, poly with gold lurex rose design. It was new with tags on it when I found it, the tag has gone missing in the basement. Bummer because it was a cool tag! The bow looks a little discolored. Should be ok when cleaned? 30" waist, 38" bust, 38" hips, 16" shoulder to waist, 29" waist to hem. Size 8.

Glitteryrosedress

Glitteryrosescloseup

Cute mod plaid mini and matching vest. Vest is lined, skirt isn’t. It’s acrylic, not wool. Skirt has 26" waist, 34" hips, 16" long and top has 36" bust, 23" long. Size 6.

Plaidoutfit

Cute offwhite crocheted floppy hat

Crochetedhat

ok, that’s it for now. You can leave a comment or email me if you’re interested in anything. Maybe, if this goes well, I can make it a regular thing.

(Oh, and Melissa, you have first dibs if anything looks good to you!)

25 thoughts on “just throwing this out there

1. Cinnamon says:

Oooh! I love that dress. How bee-yootiful and just my style and I think my size as well. May need to do some adjusting in the bust area but I think I could swing that.
    Would you mind trading it for some of the magnetic snaps I just got yesterday? Let me know what you think the $value will be and I’ll give you the equivalent in snaps. Cool?

2. cat says:

my oh my i really do love the littlest size 0 sweater but i’m not a zero. imma bigger than that, but a nice bag or pillow might be cool. i have more fabric, and i have my cards for trading. what do you think?

3. hillary says:

ok, snap shirt to hannah. let’s do one item per person for a bit to give everyone who’s interested a chance to play. plus I don’t know what I’d do with that much paper. I’m not that good with paper! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Katie says:

Did anyone claim the floppy hat? I’m probably the only one that doesn’t knit…but I’m sure I could come up with something to trade…babysitting services?:)

5. Nina says:

Such great stuff–I LOVE that suede fringe bag, but I’m far away in Amsterdam and the mail here is totally unreliable and slow. Maybe I’ll just attempt to make a purse like that sometime. If that’s just the first armful of things, your basement must be a treasure trove!

6. cynthia says:

I’d like:
    -Dusty rose colored, lacey knit, 70s sweater with fitted bodice and bell sleeves. Acrylic. 32″ bust, 28″ waist, 22″ long. Size Small, 2-4.
    -and the white hat, if they’re still up for grabs.
    If you let me know what you like, i could paint you a picture ๐Ÿ™‚ and throw in some other treats. just let me know missy.

7. hillary says:

ok,
    hat to KT
    other pink sweater to cynthia
    marshall fields sweater to Bettsi
    that leaves the bag (Nina are you sure? it’s very fringy!) and the plaid outfit unclaimed.
    I think I might put a few more things up this morning because today would be a good day to hit the post office.
    we’ll see if Oscar is feeling nappy!

8. amanda says:

From what is left, I dig the Pink space dyed striped 70s sweater. Has anybody taken it?
    Hillary, I could swap oodles of different things. Prints of my artwork or a crafty item. I also have some 2005 fairy tale calendars featuring 7 illustrators (myself included). Check out my site & let me know if your interested!

9. dawn says:

damn, being on the west coast! That’s okay, I love the bag! And as luck would have it I have both vintage buttons and vintage fabrics for trading!

10. hillary says:

Dawn – excellent! you’ve got my number ๐Ÿ™‚ ok, bag to you
    Amanda, sorry the pink 70s sweater is off to Rachel in Australia
    That leaves only plaidy homeless. Perhaps you should not look at it so much as an outfit but just a cute miniskirt ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I’m working on a few other things now…

11. grace says:

i also simply had to say that the flapper sweater is amazing! thank goodness i’m not a size 0 or i’d be crushed at missing out on it. i have a brand new package of lotta jansdotter post-its if you ever post more stuff. i just can’t bring myself to use them b/c it seems like nothing deserves such darling sticky notes. typical silly behavior from me.
    ps- it’s lovely seeing my wee kitties whenever i visit ๐Ÿ™‚ here’s til someone new submits their cuties

12. Jessica says:

everything is probably gone by now, right? how long were you in the vintage business, and what burned you out about it? i have an online vintage business as well, so i am curious. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. hillary says:

everything but plaidy and the pink blouse from the next post.
    let’s see.. vintage business burnout…scouring thrifts everyday for just the right things, cleaning, mending, repairing to get them in good shape, taking good photographs, writing interesting and accurate descriptions, trying to get across the right size and then dealing with returns when people didn’t get it right. I can’t tell you how many people would ask for it in a different size. uh! I really really REALLY enjoyed the buying of the fashion magazines to track trends and all the thriftSCORES I found. But in the end it was too much work for the payoff. Hard to make a living in medium range vintage from thrifts. Shopping at estate sales and selling to NY boutiques is less work. But I was more the buy it for $3 girl. I still have a hard time buying clothes because I’m convinced I can “find a shirt just like that at the village thrift!”

14. Jessica says:

yes, it is a lot of work! I sell on ebay right now, and it’s been about 2 years. I hope I don’t ever burn out, I just love it so much right now! How long did you do it, and did you sell on ebay, or strictly from a website? and, i’ve never heard of selling to ny boutiques? people do this?? sorry so many questions, it’s just rare that I find someone who does the same thing I do.

15. hillary says:

jessica – I sold on ebay and on my own site. the nicer stuff on my site. yeah people do do that. not sure how they set it up though. I guess if you have a lot of high end stuff you could contact some ny or la stores. what’s your handle on ebay?

16. nina says:

oh, too bad–I was out of town and missed out on the cute fringey bag. I probably shouldn’t be adding any more purses to my collection anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰