I’m cooking with gas now!

My Dad came over yesterday to deliver my new crafting table that he made for me. It’s so beautiful! So long and smooth and clean and uncluttered. This is a whole new world for me. It’s just the right height for a work table and it even has a pencil tray on the side!

Newdesk2

I was so inspired by my new organized, usable space that I jumped into my quilting last night and pieced together my "art" quilt (to be a wallhanging, not a used laundered everyday quilt). I cut the Nani Iro print in half and then pieced it together with the gray & red I had picked out and this cool dotted tan that I found yesterday. When I was trying to decide how to lay it all out I got the idea to make it look sort of like a kimono with an obi tied around the middle. And then it all clicked and came together. And I love it! I’ve bought high loft polyester batting for this one because I want it to be very puffy. I still have to work out how I’m going to quilt it. I’m thinking quilting around the designs in the print and just in stripes across the solids. We’ll see what they say in class.

Naniquilttop

Now it’s time to work on my functional quilt. It’s amazing how a better space can change your outlook. Normally I’d dread untangling this mess, pressing it all out and then trying to find a free space to cut all the pieces. But not now. Now I’m looking forward to it!

Tangledmess

Thank you Dad!

18 thoughts on “I’m cooking with gas now!

1. dawn says:

I love your desk, I’ll bet you can hardly wait for the next installment of international desk day!
    Your quilts are going to be lovely. How nice to take a class, even when you have confidence in what you are doing taking classes can be so inspiring.

2. hannah says:

way to go dad!! your new table looks great! does he know that he just got a whole bunch of ladies in cyberspace excited too???
    and your quilt is looking beautiful!

3. Heidi says:

A good workspace makes doing the work that much more enjoyable. What a great dad you have!
    Did he make the table from a kit/schematic, or was it his own creation?

4. Mariko says:

I am green with envy over your amazing table! I’ve been wanting a decent workspace for a long time, and a sewing table like that is the core of the design, of course. Enjoy your table! Can’t wait to see the quilt.

5. Cinnamon says:

Oh my! It’s bee-yoo-tiful! It looks awesome. My crafting table is just a cheap table from IKEA, but having it made such a difference in how I work and it’s made me so happy that I keep thinking I’m going to paint little hearts all up and down the legs cause I love it that much.
    If this means that you become even more productive, then it means that we’ll have even more wonderful things to see.

6. Giao says:

Wowie Zowie, your dad rocks the house! Oh my! I am ever impressed with the genes coursing through your family. Creative, creative!
    And the obi/kimono quilt–sweet!

7. rhya says:

wow…that table is beeeautiful!
    and your studio space looks lovely!
    i am posting some pics up of mine as i type…but after seeing your beautiful space, i am having second thoughts.
    cheers
    r

8. hillary says:

heidi,
    it was his own creation! dad’s very handy in the customized furniture department. we tell him what we’re thinking and he comes up with something beautiful and exactly fitting our needs. most recently he’s made our changing table, our dining room table and our radiator covers.
    and I forgot to mention, the table breaks down for easy transport!