Crochet

I’ve never before been a big fan of crochet. I think it stems from all my thriftstore run-ins with horrible crocheted acrylic afghans from the 70s. But I’ve changed my tune. Maybe it was these shiny crochet hooks I spied over at craftlog or the amazing creativity of Ana Clara Voog and her free form crochet hats (which I think I found via mypapercrane).

Whatever it was, I was inspired to pick up the Interweave Knits Crochet magazine. And now I’m obsessed. I really want to make this sweater. So cute! And I never want to make sweaters. There is also a neat bag or two in there.

Interweaveknitscrochet

But the bag that has truly captured my heart, and made me dig out my "I Can’t Believe I’m Crocheting" instruction book is this gorgeous thing I found in my November Vogue…

Crochetchanel

It doesn’t look so hard. Ok, it looks impossible. But I could try…

13 thoughts on “Crochet

1. hannah says:

is it just me, or does seem like if you learn to knit first, crochet doesnt make any sense and knitting seems crazy if you started with crochet. how do you make anyting with one needle? i cant wrap my brain around it. but i dont doubt that you will come up with some amazing purse lickety split!!

2. Laural says:

That bag is cute, and I bet you can totally figure it out. Crochet is actually pretty easy, I think, at least as easy as knitting, if not more so. And I definately think the bag looks easier that the sweater with all those chained loops. If you make that, I definitely want to see it!

3. Robyn says:

I’m one of those people who cannot knit if her life depended on it, but I can crochet fine. One needle = woo. You’ll be fine, unless you become addicted. 🙂

4. jen says:

i concur, kitting is impossible for me, but any crochet is mine to be concurred, intereweave isn’t readily available here in australia but I got that issue of their website.
    If you want to email me a big version of the bag photo then I might be able to have a look at working out the pattern for you.
    jen

5. melissa says:

Ha! Those are the crochet hooks I got for christmas! I’m actually going to sit down with them for the third time now and hope I can make something that doesn’t look like a pink moustache…again.

6. carrie says:

I agree that whichever (knitting or crocheting) you learn first seems easier, but I also think crocheting is easier in general than knitting. I don’t think that sweater looks too impossible, actually… I’ve always found that the trick with crochet patterns is just to never try to read ahead and figure out the whole thing in advance. Just go a step at a time, suspending judgment, and let it happen.

7. Giao says:

How did I miss all these posts!? I’ve been wanting to learn to crochet (perhaps one of my few goals this year!) because I picked up a divine magazine of “hip” crochet and I covet the goodies inside…so bully for you for attempting. I am sure you’ll be a maven soon.

8. Tia says:

I originaly learned how to knit, then to crochet. I thought crochet was easier, but now i knit constantly and can’t crochet for the life of me. Not that I try to hard. Crochet tends to be faster because the stitches are bigger, but i’m semi new to the hard-core crafting community and probably am doing it wrong. But the purse doesnt look too hard, so you should do great! (this from the girl who hasnt touched a crochet hook in… years)