button tray

I have something very exciting on the horizon in the desk department, but for now, for official international desk day here are some pictures of my new button tray. I just got the best ebay score in the mail this week. I won a big lot of buttons for $10 and I’m so happy with what I got! So many great buttons, mod ones, simple ones, shiny ones. I love them! So I dug this printers drawer out from the basement and I set it up as my new button drawer. I’m going to keep it slid underneath my fabric shelves. Hopefully it won’t be too hard to get at, it will definitely keep me motivated to keep my craft room tidy. Before this I had all my buttons in a bag and every time I needed one I’d have to dig through them all. Now it will be so easy to look at them all at once!

Here’s what I’ve got so far. Most of my ebay buttons are in here and I still have a few odds and ends to dig out of various locations.

Buttontray

And I still have to go through this whole bag of clear buttons from that same ebay auction.

Buttons2

Here are some close ups..

Buttons1

Buttons3

Buttons4

12 thoughts on “button tray

1. hannah says:

this is crazy hillary. i have one chartreuse button exactly like those three blue ones up top, with the flower design etched in. it is my favorite button, i have had it since i bought a random box of buttons in a garage sale when i was 10! i keep pulling it out, but i never use it because i like it so much and nothing seems worthy!

2. Heidi says:

Neato! I have tons of buttons too but I keep mine in old canning jars. The tray would make browsing much easier I’m sure.
    I’ve got to hurry up and send Jennifer a baby present now…

3. stef says:

That is the perfect thing to use for buttons 🙂 Incidentally I just got home from my first letterpress class and thought,”hey, that looks so familiar – hehe!!”
    Wow.

4. carolyn says:

buttons are my favorite notions! somewhere in my parents’ basement is a huge cookie tin full of the ones i saved from like age 3-20… but i was way too lazy when i was home over christmas to search through boxes for it! 🙂

5. erica says:

aha! more ideas for little things i can add to your package & more ideas about how i can organize my buttons! now if only i didn’t have to go to work. 5 minutes ago.

6. cat says:

i too got a load of buttons from my grandmother and great grandmother. i have most of them in a large vase on my bookshelf. it was fun for me to layer the colors in the vase going from clear/white to black. have fun hillary!!!

7. Pam says:

Old printers drawers are great for so many collectibles…I have one in which I first cut dowel pieces and glued in each box section, then on top of each I hot glued all my coins from world travels. Another drawer I used to show off my sea shell collection…also hot gluing a seashell in each box section.