Buttercup and Sunshine

Here are my vintage catwalk kitties for Loobylu’s Month of Softies. I thought I’d go ahead and make two since I was making one. I used the pattern I made for Gertie kitty. I resized it so these kitties are about 3/4’s of Gertie’s size. I made them from a thrifted yellow angora sweater that I felted up in the washer. It turned out nice and soft and fuzzy. I used brown corduroy for the insert on Buttercup’s head and soft pink velour for Sunshine. The dresses I made from a pattern in this book I got for Christmas. The coat I pretty much winged. It was tricky and I shouldn’t have been working on it so late at night. There was a lot of upside down facings and inside out sleeves and maybe a little cursing. But now they’re done and I just love them! I opted for a simpler face and I really like how it turned out. They look so sweet and are even cuter for their lopsided ears. Maybe they’re just cute because they’re sisters. My vintage theme was the 60s. I gave them cheery hippie names and I found inspiration for their dresses and coats & kerchiefs from an old JCPenneys catalog from 1969, here and here.

I couldn’t decide which picture to put up so I went with all of them!

Sunshineandbuttercuponblanket

Buttercupandsunshine

Buttercupandsunshineonsteps

Buttercupandsunshinepose

Buttercupbythegarden

Sunnyandbutterreadmadeline

Sunnyandbutterreadmadeline2

51 thoughts on “Buttercup and Sunshine

1. jenny b says:

To use a saying from the sixties… these are fab! The dresses are soooo cute, and the shoes are to die for. The kerchiefs, the coats, all totally adorable. And they are reading about Madeline… tres chic!

2. corine says:

hi, i’m a knitter who tunes in here occasionally. you may single-handedly cause me to cross over to the sewing side of crafting via your nifty stitching endeavors. your kitties are so kool.

3. heidi says:

Wow those kitties are super cute. I exspecially love the coats + handkercheifs! You did such a wonderful job with these cats. All your fabric choices are beautiful! Wow, just brillant!

4. mochi says:

Just when I think things couldn’t get any cuter you go and blow the cuteness roof! They are adorable, and I love the kerchiefs! Amazing.

5. Jill says:

I was reading your post in nearly breathless anticipation (couldn’t see the pictures yet) and then scrolled down and couldn’t believe the cuteness before me! Love them!! Any thoughts of selling your patterns? I, for one, would definitely be interested.

6. hillary says:

Gobsmacked! Awesome. That is my new favorite word. That’s how I feel. Thank you everyone for all the nice comments about the kitties! They really wiped me out. I was too overambitious for the short amount of time I gave myself. After finishing them up late last night and posting them I was feeling like I was going to need a nice long break from sewing. But then the maillady brought me the most delicious fabric from Melissa, my craft room is all tidied up and I’m now I’m thinking… maybe a few more?

7. Owl says:

I just came across your blog, and I just had to tell you — your dolls are awesome! I love everything about them, but I especially love the shoes! They must’ve taken a good deal of nimble handwork. I make dolls myself, and am always in awe of other dollmakers 🙂

8. hillary says:

Hi Lizette, one of the kitties is being traded and the other is going to be for sale, when I can get my act together and get a shop part of my site up. thanks!

9. Kim says:

Hi Hillary-thanks for your kind words about our Miss Lulu! And again I want to complement your fabulous work on these two wee beauties.
    best-
    kim

10. Sewbizgirl says:

Your kitties are the best! They win, hands down, for their *fashion*. Kercheifs, retro dresses and matching coats, and those shoes! Every detail is purrrrrrfect.

11. Jess says:

Oh My Goodness!! These are to die for!! The Kitties are so cute, but what had me laughing was the way you had them posed in the pictures. I think I enjoyed the pictures more than anything 🙂 This totally brightened my day! 🙂
    I want little shoes like that. Wow just simply fabulous!