two steps back

After feeling so accomplished yesterday, life is sucking today because Oscar has gone from being a little off – waking up at 5:30 instead of 7, fighting all his naps, fussy all day, to being totally broken – up from 1-5am last night. After consulting the ridiculous useless  books yesterday we decided to put him to bed an hour early. This works for something like 94% of babies between 12.5-12.8 months 59% of the time in 38% of the world. Math was not on our side last night. I even checked my old standby for guidance – The Trixie Update archives. Apparently Trixie did not break at 12 months like Oscar – even though her warranty was up.

So I’m too tired today. I was supposed to be making Oscar Christmas pajamas out of this sock monkey flannel. Instead, making this unauthorized ornament is all I can handle.

Sockmonkeyornament

8 thoughts on “two steps back

1. Sharyn says:

Ouch. I remember those days all too well. And it’s hard to reassure you, since every kid is different. So instead let me just say I feel your pain. And I’ll especially be feeling it tomorrow, as momma is going out tonight. Sure it will be self-inflicted sleep deprivation then, but at least I’ll be able to commiserate properly.

2. Cailean says:

I’d like to offer one more book that I promise isn’t useless or ridiculous, and while may not have had the answer for our 2yo’s issues, it did make me feel a lot more normal! It’s called “The No-Cry Sleep Solution,” by Elizabeth Pantley 🙂

3. Giao says:

Oh dear! I don’t have any little people advice, but I must say I love all your unauthorized craft projects. Where you find the strength and the time stuns and amazes me.
    Also, I got your fabu Christmas card and your most excellent little elf fella today. I’m smitten! He’s going right on the tree. =) Thank you so much, Hillary! And best with Oscar and getting him unbroken!!

4. Angela says:

I’m with you sister! On Wednesday night my 23 month old was up from 1:20 am to 4:50 am (straight) and again at 6am – no naps the next day grrr and then my 18 month old decided to get up and howl every hour on the hour from 11 pm to 5 am this morning (when I gave up and took him down to watch Bob the Builder) My oldest never went through any of this so I am reeling – and I feel your pain!!! I have no useful suggestions as I have tried everything – but I am sending you some good thoughts and heres to hoping they all sleep tonight! BTW the sock monkeys are too cute for words! ;o)

5. benmac says:

Do you have any excuse to use Baby Tylenol? Any teething going on? Maybe just a little bit, waaay in the back where you can’t see?
    We feel for you. Hope you get some sleep.
    Trixie’s Dad

6. Jo Ann says:

Hillary, I’m so sorry Oscar is not sleeping for you when you’re trying to finish Christmas projects. But have faith; he will sleep through the night again. He could be coming down with something, or he just wants you to know who’s really in charge.

7. Hanna says:

Well, this IS the time to make christmas tree ornament, right? You can’t really prosone making them until janury, right? I really like your heart-sock-monkey-ornament! Cool!
    Merry x-mas!