Marjorie the Accessorized Elephant

Marjorie

Here’s my elephant for Claire’s Month of Softies project. As you can see her accessory is a bow! The bow was inspired by this drawing Tim did of his friend Becky’s grandmother Marjorie as a child.

Marjorie2_1

Marjorie3_1

I had so much trouble trying to decide what way to go with this elephant! First I was going to use the same pattern I used to make this elephant. This was the first stuffed animal I made back in July from a pattern in a 70s soft toy book from the library. Actually the same book Claire mentioned on her site, The Splendid Soft Toy. I have her to blame for this newfound obsession with toy making! Anyway, so I was going to then put it on wheels like an old time pull toy, kind of like this. Then I scrapped that idea and decided to make her more like Gertie but with rollerskates. I found this excellent pastel rainbow kid’s sweatshirt at the thriftstore that I was going to make into a rad outfit and then try to replicate exactly the awesome rollerskates I had as a preteen. White leather lace up skates with neon green wheels. I was even going to accessorize the rollerskates with those big poms. Oh how I wanted those for my skates! But then the elephant head on a skinny Gertie body was weird and I couldn’t figure out how to make lace up skates to fit on wide elephant legs. So then I was going to make old metal buckle on skates but I couldn’t figure those out either. So finally I ditched the skates altogether and here she is. Not on wheels but hopefully her bow is so big no one will notice!

23 thoughts on “Marjorie the Accessorized Elephant

1. sunni says:

she is gorgeous and i love her! you are so good at making the cutest little outfits – her green collar and the little pearl detail are the best. well done hillary! 🙂

2. Lori says:

Wow! Hillary, I just linked my way to your site yesterday and I must say, you are quite talented. Your work and use of colors and fabrics inspires me, but alas, I’m not so artistic.

3. Angela says:

Awwww . . . I’m so jealous – I LOVE her! My elephant is facing some major issues (like being the 1st stuffie I have made since Home ec in grade 9 – and that was a looooong time ago!) Did you make up the Gertie pattern? I have been looking for something similar but no luck at the store here. Sometimes I REALLY miss the city! GREAT Job!!! The bow is fab!

4. claire says:

this is exactly how I imagined I wanted my elephant to look! Unfortunately she hasn’t quite got there yet… she is so beautiful and a wonderful choice of fabrics and colours! Thank you so much for participating Hilary.

5. hillary says:

thank you Claire for coming up with such a fun idea! I can’t wait to see everyone’s elephants all together on your site!
    and thanks to everyone for all the nice words about Marj!! Y’all are helping me come to terms with the disappointment of her not being on wheels 🙂

6. dawn says:

Have I ever told you I start my day everyday with a cup of tea and a trip to your site (okay, after the kids are up, fed, one off to school, one settled in with some lego or toy cars, etc.). You are truly inspiring. And I love your elephant, the big bow is so gorgeous, perfect for the holiday season ahead!

7. Jennybee says:

I’ve been meaning to tell you how adorable your elephant is! Her dress is fantastic, and the hairbow… what can I say? Everyone will want one after they see hers! Lovely!!!

8. Jennybee says: