scrapbooking

Scrapbookframe

Oscar & I went to check out the new scrapbooking shop down the street while out on our walk the other day. It’s a very cute shop full of the usual scrapbooking suspects, cool papers, stickers, stamps, etc. They had a beautiful window display of tiffany blue (!) halloween pumpkins. Wish I’d had my camera. But what I was really impressed with was the playroom they had in the back to keep the kids occupied. It was huge and fully stocked with all sorts of cool toys. Maybe I need to take up scrapbooking so Oscar can use the facilities.

So I don’t really get scrapbooking. I feel like I should like it. I like all the aspects of it, archiving, bookmaking, photo albums, stickers! But I can never figure out how to use all the stuff to make something I’d like. I’m drawn to the embellishments (ribbons and eyelets and such) but really all it seems to do is muck up the pages and distract from what should be the focus, the photographs. I don’t think I have the knack for it.

So while I don’t really get scrapbooking, it is *the craft* of the aughts. It’s our hooked rugs, our macrame plant holders. When Oscar is sitting around drinking beers with his college friends sharing stories of similar childhood experiences undoubtedly the subject of scrapbooks will come up. They’ll all recount stories of the hilariously overdecorated photo albums they have sitting at home on their parents’ shelves. I don’t want Oscar to be odd man out. So I bought these cool tags and these letters by SEI. I’m going to use the letters to make a name plate for his bedroom door. On the tags I’m going write milestones and cute little quips and paste them in his photo albums.

I also bought this pretty frame. I guess it’s made to be stuck onto a scrapbook page but I’m going to just cut it out and paste it onto a frame back so I can put it out on display. I love the little mushrooms and leaves! And look at it’s name – no wonder I was drawn to it!

must go play with stickers now…

10 thoughts on “scrapbooking

1. mariko says:

I don’t get the whole scrapbooking thing, either. And what are those “memory books”? Is that the same thing? You got some cute stuff, though, so now you can just do your own wee wonderfuls style of scrapbooking!

2. Jennifer says:

I feel exactly the same way about scrapbooking, as the word means today: die cuts and pre-designed layouts, embellishments, “crops”…one of my friends made me feel a little guilty that I am not “scrapping” my pregnancy. Um….what I would like to do is make a nice photo album using photo corners on blank paper, with space to write a few words about particular shots. It is sad for me when I look at my grandmother’s beautiful old photo albums from her youth, but I have no idea who any of the family members are. That would be nice to know, but do I think her photos need yarn and eyelets and glitter and die-cut crap? No.

3. brit says:

I actually thought I was a scrapbooker till I went to a “Crop”. Uh yeah…I like construction paper and stickers and pictures..these people had hammers and metal tags and fine toned tools…so apparently I just put pictues in a scrapbook….But it’s pretty.

4. Heidi says:

I agree with Jennifer and the rest of you on scrapbooking. I have the added influence of my profession (archivist) which makes me prefer a simple page with black photo corners and a space for some little notes as the most classy way to go. You’re right, the photos really should be the focus.
    P.S. Your site is so inspiring!

5. cat says:

my impression is that scrapbooking is for those who are wealthier and less creative. the cost of putting a scrapbook together is outrageous! but there are some beautiful accessories that go along with the whole rigamarole. you seemed to have found some. way to go!

6. Michele says:

I want to like scrapbooking too, but cannot see past all the clutter to find my own style. Visited your blog via ljcfyi.com and cannot get enough. Well done!

7. monica says:

thank you so much for this post! I do not understand this craze & try to refrain from referring to it as “crapbooking” in front of the obsessed women. It is not a craft, it makes bad use of the word craft. thanks for doing what you do (THAT is craft) and sharing your amazing productivity with all.

8. elizabeth says:

i just discovered your site from ljcfyi and i must say that i love your work. i am “sew” jealous of your sewing skills.
    i must though comment on this particular post b/c i too understood the way you felt about it. i am going to be the odd man out here b/c i am a scrapbooker (no i am not wealthy, yes i am creative, and yes i do believe it is a craft just like any other craft). when i first started, i was very intimated on how i felt my pages should look. but once i sat down and did some, i found my own style and went with that. you can scrapbook anyway that you like it. that is all that matters anyway.
    if you are interested in seeing some of my pages, you can find some of them here http://twopeasinabucket.com/userprofile.asp?user_id=62199

9. bijou says:

i write for all the scrabookers out there who are creative and artistic and not wealthy at all. I just got a commission to “scrapbook” wedding memorabilia for $20/pg. i think the trick to scrapbooking is to be really choosy with the panoply of tools and implements on the market. As in ice cream, just because there are 32 different flavors in the store does not mean you have to eat all of them at the same time (unless its a ben’njerry vermontster).