Gertie

Here’s Gertie, short for Gertrude. I got her name from the oxygen babynamer list of the day National Medal of Science Winners. She’s made of a felted merino wool sweater from the thrift store and she’s soo soft. Her head insert, nose and shoes are wool felt. Her eyes are suede and flea market buttons (same as for my other kitty in a dress).

Gert2

It was so much fun to come up with a little outfit for her! Now I have all sorts of anthropomorphizing projects floating in my head! Next up is a bunny in pajamas for Oscar. (because we never bought him that Thelonius Monkey we had our eye on).

Gert3

Gert4

I don’t feel so sad about those tar-tan kitties now that I have my own kitty to play with. She’s fitting right in with the rest of the crew. Actually she’s rather take charge, here she is trying to edify the other stuffeds by reading them a book on manners.

Gert6

26 thoughts on “Gertie

1. Heidi says:

I stumbled across your site the other day and I’m amazed at your work and your aesthetic sense! I love it! I love Gertie! I love exclamation points!

2. viki says:

I really enjoy your blog. Your new creation is simply ‘wonderful’. I started getting into making dolls last year and have really enjoyed it. My kids and I spent all last weekend making little guys out of synthetic felt. They came up with their own designs and did alot of the stitching on them. They had so much fun making their drawings into something they could play with. Keep up the inspirational work. 🙂

3. hillary says:

what a great day! Oscar & I took a lovely 2(!) hour nap and then I woke up to all these nice comments. Thank you everybody!
    Mimi – thanks for the Richard Scarry comment. that’s what I was going for!

4. claire says:

She is SO gorgeous. No need to worry about that tan-tan site anymore – 😉
    The shoes are perfect. Gorgeous! I am off to find some second hand sweaters to felt!
    xx

5. Anna says:

Excellent cat!! Her outfit is absolutely adorable — I’ve been wanting to make some small dolls just so I can sew some tiny clothes. Great job!

6. wee says:

that is the most wunnnnerful stuffed kitty ever! your blog name caught my eye on another blog… I forget which one now… for obvious reasons and I’ve been lurking about for a few days now. Seems we (wee?) have alot in common, you and I! Pleasure to meet you!

7. Jen Leheny says:

ohmigod how CUTE is she? You did a fantastic job – I love everything about her. I want to make one too – which book is she from? I would love to know… please tell! 🙂